Monday, April 20, 2009

GDC Diary Day 3

Luckily I'd remembered to put my half a pizza in the fridge before I slumped into my bed the previous night. Cold pizza for breakfast is brilliant when you are feeling a little worse for wear.

Alex and Anthony had been up most of the night trying to get our Cletus demo sorted and so I think everyone was pretty tired. We arrived at the Moscone centre to begin the last day of talks before we had to set up for our IGF stand, me cradling my bottle of water and desperate for coffee to ease my pounding head.



The indie game makers rant was something I was determined not to miss and it didn't fail to impress me, even through the fog in my brain. Kyle Gabler and Phil Fish also gave an excellent
presentation on the art of promoting indie games. This was very helpful to me and I made sure to make substantial notes. Sadly I brought the worlds most pathetic handbag to San Francisco and as soon as I placed my notes in my bag they fell out. This is where twitter came to my rescue which I'll explain in a bit.

We were setting up our IGF stand that evening so I was sent on a mission to locate some clay. Anthony and I were going to demonstrate how we created some of the assets in the game on our stand and required a particular kind of clay called Van Aken . I make the worst decisions when I'm hung over and deciding to wander off into San Francisco without a map, not really knowing my way round and with only sheer determination to find an art shop was one of those bad decisions. 2 hours later I was hot, bothered and about ready to give up. Luckily I must have been sending out 'I'm lost' vibes and a friendly guy walked me to within spitting distance of an art shop that had the correct kind of clay. I gave him a badge to say thank you but would have happily given him a lung or a kidney at the time.



Armed with my bag of clay I headed back to the venue to sort out expo passes for Anthony's girlfriend Michaela and a sneaky pass for Dan Paladin. Alex and I got the bare minimum set up for the next day and met Andy for some Tai food. This is where twitter saved me. Just before bed the Cletus Clay twitter account got a direct message from Scott Macmillan at Macguffin Games. He had located my note book and was willing to bring it to our stand the next day. Twitter is AWESOME.

Anthony and Alex were once again up until crazy o clock getting a playable demo for Cletus sorted. At one point the internet in our apartment went down and Alex and Anthony resorted to skulking the streets sapping wifi from whatever house had failed to password restrict their connection. They were the wifi ninja's.

1 comment:

jeb said...

That many desktop icons would drive me insane :)