Sunday, March 08, 2009

Watchmen - The other white meat


Before my weekend of drunken frivolity Tom and I braved Cineworld and embarked on an adventure to watch Watchmen. Having only managed to read about 2 thirds of the original comic I wasn't really sure what to expect. I loved V for Vendetta as a comic and thoughaly enjoyed the movie adaptation so had hopes for a good show.

The experience was slightly marred from the beginning due to the toss pot behind getting a bit arsey when I shhusshhed him. Unable to locate the source of the shuussh he spent the first 10 minutes of the film angrily asking who shhusshed him. Unwilling to get either shouted at or beaten up I sunk low in my seat and kept a low profile and eventually he gave up the hunt.

The film itself was quite captivating. My memory of the comic is foggy at best but I do recall finding the character of the night owl really really weak. However Patrick Wilson brings a whole new dimension to the character instead of the flacid nobody that the comic portrayed him as. The comedian was pefectly cast and being a massive fan of Billy Crudup I was very excited by the prospect of seeing him in all his blue glory.

The story itself was told well and it was an entertaining evening. I wouldn't say I was blown away but having not really enjoyed the comic I went to see this film expecting a mediocre event. By the end of the film I was pleasently surprise by the depiction of the characters which saved this film from the possible 'ok' status I was going to give it and instead made me lean towards a 'pretty good'.

That brings me finally to the nakedness. I don't really regard myself a prude but every time I saw Dr Manhattan's man stick I did find myself stifling a school girl giggle and I am sure that I am not alone. However from the experience I can safely say I don't get to see enough naked beautiful men in the films I watch and am in favour of more blue knobly bits on screen.

No comments: